Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Wonderful Conversation

A great blog, 100 Scope Notes, has a conversation between two super talented picture book illustrators - both Caldecott winners.  Erin Stead won for A Sick Day for Amos McGee and is relatively early in her career ... Jerry Pinkney is a picture book veteran with lots of amazing work under his belt.

Click here and read their conversation with each other...learning about their individual creative processes is really interesting!

The whole thing has me remembering some of my favorite picture books.  The classics like Green Eggs and Ham, Bedtime for Frances and Good Night Moon ... but also some great lesser knowns that we love around here like The Night I Followed the Dog and It Could Always be Worse.

Tell me:  What are some favorite picture books in your house?

6 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Older ones: Make Way for Duckling, Blueberries for Sal, The Laughing Dragon, anything by Dr. Seuss. Newer ones with my kids: Skippy Jon Jones, books by Audrey Wood, Books by Eric Carle, and so many more.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Want you to know that I'll posting a review of your book on friday on my blog. Loved it!

Tess said...

Mary: aw, Make Way for Duckling is a great one, isn't it? And I also love Audrey/Don Wood pieces...the one about the king in the bathtub or Heckedy Peg....the illustations in that are amazing.

And, thanks for being willing to read and review - so glad you enjoyed the novel!

Marcia said...

Anything Frances, especially A BARGAIN FOR FRANCES. The Hobans are totally tuned into the young elementary emotions.

PK HREZO said...

Hi Tess. New follower here... from Mary's blog. I love your book cover. Gorgeous. One of my fave PBs is Runaway, Marie Louise. :) My kids read it today from the same book as when I was a kid. Kinda cool.

Tess said...

Marcia - A Bargain for Frances is such a great book..as is Bedtime for Frances. One year I asked for the entire series for christmas and my sweet husband spent hours finding and ordering them on ebay and amazon. To this day, it is one of my favorite "married" Christmas memories.

Pk: Welcome! thanks for coming over. What's intersting about novel covers is that the publisher handles that portion and I really didn't have much say so it is wonderful to have it turn out so lovely. And, how cool to have your kiddos reading from your very same book!