Friday, April 17, 2009

What's All The Hub-Bub, Bub?

*
I was trolling over on Nathan Bransford's blog and he noted that he just didn't get the whole Susan Boyle thing. Several comment-ers agreed with him as well.
*
Really? Well, I left my two cents there and decided to bring it back here.
*
First, you must watch this link. If you have already watched it, it is worth watching again.
*
Ok, now that you've seen it - what do you think? Here is my take:
*
This is not a run of the mill underdog story...it is much more.
*
- As writers -- and sometimes with life in general -- we feel undervalued. We feel like other people just don't *get* us. It's as if we know we have all these amazing things tucked away...just waiting to be discovered and loved and appreciated and cheered for. We know that we can write that really wonderful/exciting/heartfelt/to die for novel if those darn publishers and agents would just SEE that!

We envision ourselves up on that stage -- being mocked and giggled at (what a silly fool to set such lofty dreams for herself....this should be very funny to watch) and we secretly want to rock the house -- just like Susan Boyle did.
*
Yes, well when each of you have your chance to do just that, I would love to be in the audience jumping up out of my seat and whooping and cheering and saying to the world, "Look at the beauty that has been right under our noses this whole time and we didn't even have a clue!"

(steps off soapbox)

thank you.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO & HERE, HERE!

Nikki said...

I completely agree. That was an awesome clip. Thanks for sharing. I feel like that everytime I set pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard. Thanks for stopping by Mormonmommywriters BTW. Hope to be see more of you!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great post! Raise your glasses to the underdogs..hear, hear. Or is it here, here? Never mind, you get the idea.

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

tess...i don't have your email address. it's not on your profile. so send it to me at charactertherapist (at) hotmail (dot) com. thanks!

Janice said...

Bravo Tess. Bravo.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Tess, the Beta readers post is up on my blog. Hope it's helpful!

Danyelle L. said...

Great correlation!

lotusgirl said...

Huzzah! That was spot on! Thanks for the thoughts! I saw your comment over on Glam's blog and thought I'd drop by. I love MG/YA stuff. I write YA. I've thought about writing historical but am not right now. I'd be willing to give your work a gander. I'm pretty busy these days, but I still read a lot generally. Since your writing is in my wheelhouse, I'd be glad to give it a try.

Tess said...

Thanks lotusgirl, I'll pop over to your blog and leave my contact info :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I nominated you for an award on my blog. :D

Here

Anonymous said...

You are so right, Tess. It's like we all have a little cinderella inside waiting for the chance to break free and get to the ball...only in writerville, it's not so much the ball as it is the publishing house! :) And the beautiful die-for dress is our novel...what's in our heart...what we want to say.
Diana

Liana Brooks said...

I think it was probably amazing if you didn't know what Susan could do. But by the time I'd heard about it the gossip was, "She's this amazing singer, a natural diva, you have to watch!"

There was no surprise, no shock, no elation at having discovered this sudden reversal of fortune. Knowing the ending from the start ruins the fun. At least for me.

Yes, the lady has a lovely voice. So do other people. I wasn't bowled over, Cinderella or no.

B.J. Anderson said...

I totally agree with you, Tess! It was really heartbreaking when everyone was laughing at her, and I was so happy when she did such a fantastic job. It shows you how important it is not to judge people.